Riiight.... so it might have been a while since I posted. I assure you it was for a good reason though.
I've just finished my GCSE's! I could've posted during them but the general quality of my writing would have been significantly worse so it was one or the other I'm afraid. I'm sorry and all that and now let's move on.
So seeing as though I've just finished exams, Imma make this post about revision. I'm not just saying this but, at the beginning of my exams my attitude towards revision was absolutely crap. I wouldn't revise for the subjects which I was sort of confident on and any revision I would do would be on the night before the exam.
I was adamant that I did not need to revise and that I could rely on the stuff I'd started learning 2 years ago.
Oh how wrong I was. And as a consequence to my ignorance I'm sure my results will have suffered and I'm really not proud of this. I looked all over the internet for some kind of push to make me more willing to sit down and revise but anything I came across was more of an instruction manual on 'How to Revise' and I found that this didn't help me at all.
I was at a loss of what to do because whenever I tried to revise, I'd get distracted or I'd just give up. I really wanted to revise but I found that, as silly as this sounds, it just wasn't physically possible for me.
Then I watched a YouTube video called 'Being a Teenager' by a YouTuber called Alfie Deyes. This was really one of the first things I watched that actually got through to me because of a various number of reasons.
1) I wasn't actually looking for help or advise when I came across this video. I was just browsing through my subscriptions and this video happened to be there.
I think that this made me more open to suggestion or help because I wasn't in that mind set of self despair yet.
2) This video was more of a personal response to the problem as apposed to a post which feels like it could have been written by a teacher being paid based on your success.
I think it got through to me more because I felt like this dude could relate to me and if the things he was listing helped him, maybe they'd help me also.
The main thing that got through to me in this video was that he put revision into perspective for me. He said
"I could've done so much better if I could have been bothered to."
Thinking about this, I know it's so true. I told myself that this wasn't the truth with me because I did want to and I could be bothered to revise but really, whenever I tried, it was my own laziness getting in the way.
He also touched on the fact that for instance, if you have 8 days until your exam - you should revise for all those 8 days because in the long term, 8 days out of your life is nothing. This really hit me because no one had ever said that to me before. All I'd heard is "You should revise more" and "You'll regret it if you don't" and that's all fair and well but having someone say that compared to your whole life, the time you spend revising is nothing, that gave me more inspiration to actually try.
I'm not going to ramble on any more but if you're going through the same thing as I was please just take a few minutes of your time to watch the video (I'll link it below) because it really helped me and I'm not saying that it was the only thing to help me but it definitely set me off on the right tracks.
If you want to talk with me more about this please feel free because let's face it, now that I'm off school for 10 weeks I can literally devote all my time into helping people get past their problems. I'll be ecstatic if this even helps only one person because if it helps them succeed then it was worth it.
Thanks for reading!! I'll try to post more. xx
Alfie Deyes you are one smart cookie! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfizo6m21JA
No comments:
Post a Comment